Eating a diet rich in vegetables reduces risk for heart disease, including heart attack stroke and certain types of cancer!!
Oats has become very popular due to the increasing consciousness regarding health. Here now is yet another Oats dish, one that tastes great and that can be prepared for a change with veggies of one’s choice. I prepared a couple of times and very well received here at home. So maybe this is a chance to get some wider acceptance among my readers and fellow bloggers ! Let me know if you like this one.
Ideal for diabetics, this fibre-rich upma made with quick cooking oats and enhanced with carrots and green peas, will appeal to others as well. This makes a truly filling breakfast that will keep you going till lunch time.
The recipe is simple and gets done within 30 minutes including both the preparation and cooking. I prepare this oats Upma the way I make Rava Upma. I have added some finely chopped veggies and I do suggest to add them as they give a good texture and of course a nutritional boost to the upma. you can add your choice of veggies. I usually stick to the trio of carrots, french beans and green peas.
oats Upma can be served plain, drizzled with some lime or lemon juice or also served with a side of coconut chutney. This Upma also makes for a healthy tiffin box snack.
1 Cup Roasted Oatmeal
2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil (To make it more healthier)
1 medium chopped Onion
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Split Bengal gram (Chana dal)
Asafoetida a pinch
4-6 Curry leaves
1 inch Ginger, Grated
2 Green Chilies
1/2 tsp Peanuts
1 Carrot, chopped
3-4 French beans chopped
1/2 Cup Green peas
Salt to taste
1. Dry roast oats in a non-stick pan for 2 minutes and set aside. Chop onion and ginger.
2. Halve green chillies. Heat oil in another non-stick pan and add mustard seeds.
3. When it starts to splutter, add split Bengal gram and cumin seeds and peanuts (I like peanuts in any Upma) sauté till fragrant.
4. Add Asafoetida, ginger, green chillies and sauté.
5. Add onion, carrot, French beans, green peas, curry leaves and salt.
6. Add some water and boil till the vegetables are cooked.
7. Add oats and mix well.
8. Reduce heat add more water as needed and cook till the oats are done.
Enjoyyy the healthiness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1