The use of whole green gram or moong is very common in day-to-day Gujarati fare. Moong ki kadhi is a lovely recipe that features cooked moong simmered with curds and spices. The use of curds bestows a unique, sumptuous feel to this recipe. Garlic-lovers can even add a little garlic paste to add a whole new dimension to this item.
I personally love this kadhi with Besan Bhindi.....My favourite Lunch and we can enjoy it with Roti or Paratha and Rice also!!!
1 cup moong (whole green gram)
1 cup sour curds (khatta dahi), whisked
3/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
3 to 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
salt to taste
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Wash and soak the whole moong in enough water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain.
2. Add 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
3. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
4. Combine the sour curds, chilli powder, turmeric powder and besan in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
5. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
6. Add the cooked moong, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
8. Garnish with coriander and serve immediately with rice or roti.